Sunday 30 November 2014

A Quick Time Line... The First 3 Days

Hi Everyone! 

I thought I would post a timeline of recovery here first as I have noticed that traffic to this page is coming from Google. I assume this is because there are people out there who have found themselves in my situation with a triple break and may be looking for some general answers or a timeline to help you get through.

I wrote a diary once a week to keep track of my progress after my surgery. I have put these into fortnight or once a month so that the next post does not drag on for too long.

I have posted below, what happened to cause the fractures and the first 3 tough days. In the next post you will find a dated timeline.

February 20th 2014
At 8 am, I tumbled down 5 solid wooden stairs. The stairs were uneven, being larger and shorter, alternating in sizes. I tumbled down them in a couple of seconds and heard a very loud cracking noise before sort of "waking up" at the bottom of them, on my hands and knees.

I put my hands back and pulled my legs out from under me.

I couldn't really feel any pain straight away besides my ankle now feeling like a very heavy rock! It was hanging off to the left and a bulge almost the size of a tennis ball was sitting on the top of my foot. Part of a bone was also piercing my skin.

I tried to rest it on the floor but as I did, I screamed - there was the pain - and I had to hold my leg off the floor by wrapping my arms around the back of my knee.

During this, I was crying on and off and had been shouting out for my mother.

I pulled myself up on one leg, using a chair and had to throw on some clothes as the ambulance arrived within 3 minutes.

I was given a lot of morphine which didn't seem to make much difference. I also had gas and air. The two paramedics had to strap my lower leg and foot into a splint before they could get me out of the house. Again, there was the pain I had been waiting for!!

I fell just after 8 am and by 8.45 I was in A&E being assessed.

February 20th - The Surgery - Just 5 hours after the fall
When I got to the hospital I had already the asked one of the paramedics to be completely honest with me. I asked her what she thought was wrong and how serious it seemed. She told me that she believes I would need a pretty serious surgery on it.

I burst into tears as she said this and started having awful thoughts about losing my ability to walk, thinking how I was going to carry on going to University... and eventually thought oh my word what if they have to amputate my foot!

I am not a dramatic person. I swear! But these thoughts go through your mind, as it is such a huge shock and you do not know what to expect.

I had to have my ankle pulled back into place as it was of course dislocated and broken in 3 places. They call this 'reduction'.

I was given another shot of morphine and then ground my teeth together - as a surgeon and doctor manipulated my ankle and pulled it back into a 'normal' position. They then put the splint back on.

I was taken into another unit after that where I was awaiting my x-ray results which they had done when I arrived.

I was then spoken to by a Dr and a Surgeon - who came to tell me the results - they said I would need immediate surgery involving a plate, some nails and a screw. They believed it had to be done quickly as there was a high risk of losing blood flow to my foot. They also explained that it was going to be a very difficult surgery based on how the bones have broken and where they had moved to.

I was devastated.

At the same time, pleased that it would happen fast and be over with.

I opted for an epidural - as I was told it would be only be about a 45 minute to an hour surgery. I hated the thought of being knocked out on anesthetic and waking up not knowing what the heck had gone on.

Unfortunately, after sticking 2 different sized needles into my back - 4 times - they said it was not possible. I laid down and had a mask pulled over my face, with absolutely no warning I was out like a light.

February 21st 2014 
I spent the night of the 20th, and all day of the 21st in hospital. I had a large and very heavy 'back slab' on my leg which is like a temporary cast. There was too much swelling to be able to get me into a cast comfortably.

It had a strong metal piece down the back, from your knee and down into the foot and it was wrapped in loads of bandage.

After coming out of surgery, I was extremely pleased to be alive! And also to see my mom who I could see, had been through a hell of a 48 hours.

She couldn't stay long, so I spent the night feeling quite teary. Staring out of the window. I desperately wanted to sleep but I was being woken up every 2 hours to have my blood pressure and temperature checked!

I was struggling a lot, to go to the bathroom. The morphine was making me deadly thirsty, so I was drinking jug after jug of water and needing to wee often!

I was given a commode next to the bed and I would slide myself down to the bottom and then attempt to get myself onto the chair by hanging onto the bed rails. It was really tough.

The nursing staff were atrocious. When they emptied the commode, they would move tissues that I was using to wipe myself - to the other side of the room. Or actually move the whole chair away from the bedside.

When I needed to wee, I pressed the buzzer and waited over an hour for anyone to show their face... no one did. I was sat at the end of the bed, in tears, desperately trying not to wee all over the bed and floor. I finally shouted out for someone and they came in and moved the commode close enough and gave me a box of tissues. They then closed the door and walked away... so I struggled alone to get myself back into bed and raise my leg on some pillows - all on my own!

After feeling like I had lost EVERY ounce of dignity I had, due to the staff being so... insensitive.. I knew I had to get out of there and no matter what anyone said, I was leaving that day!

At about 6 pm, I saw 2 physiotherapists who gave me a zimmer frame. I was too unstable for crutches. I didn't care what it took or what I had to use, I was going home!

So at around 7 and with a lot of convincing, a nurse showed up with a discharge letter and said I could go.

February 22nd 2014
I woke up at home, in my own bed... finally. I was in a lot of pain and discomfort and feeling pretty sorry for myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment